Taking fluoxamine. Getting burning inside head and temporary blackout vision. Side effect?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
MY DAUGHTER STARTED TAKEN FLUVOXAMINE 25MG. PLUS RISPERIDONE 1MG ABOUT WEEK AGO. SHE IS HAVING PERIODS WHERE HER VISION GOES BLACK. THE FLUVOXAMINE IS TAKEN THE PLACE OF LEXAPRO 10MG WHICH SHE STARTED ON THE 4TH OF APRIL. LEXAPRO WAS MAKING HER PANIC ATTACKS WORSE. MY QUESTION IS TODAY SHE TOLD ME THAT IS FEELS LIKE INSIDE HER HEAD IS BURNING, IS IT HER MEDS THAT IS CAUSING THIS? SHE ALSO HAS AN EATING DISORDER WHICH WE ARE MAKING GREAT PROGRESS ON. THE VISION GOING TO BLACK START WITH THAT BUT WENT AWAY BUT NOW HAVE RETURNED. 2 DAYS AGO WE HAD BLOODWORK AND EYE EXAM DONE EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 5 hours later
Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Burning inside the head can be due to Fluoxamine. It is common side effects and it occurs during initial days of antidepressant drug. It usually last for few days but in some case, it may last longer and need to be replaced.

Temporary blackout vision may also be possible due to side effect of fluoxamine and/or risperidone. However, physical causes like temporary hypoglycemia need to be ruled out.

You should consult her treating psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and management.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Taking fluoxamine. Getting burning inside head and temporary blackout vision. Side effect? 3 days later
Dr. Shah, Thank you for answering my question. The information about both medications is what I thought was causing the problems. I have tried to contact her Psychiatrist but have not gotten a response. We will be changing doctors. Thank you again.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for the words of appreciation for me.

I feel good that information provided by me is helpful to you.

I hope you will get a proper advice from your psychiatrist.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any concern.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.