Taking coumadin for blood clot. Getting severe pain. Safe to take double dose of medicine?

Feb 2013

Blood clotI am a black male age 50 fair condition I have blood clots in the past and I am taking coumadin I have been hospitalized twice for having a blood clot look terrible pain but what do I do when I feel 1 coming on what should I do my pain level is very faint maybe a1 when it got really bad it was on a scale my pain level was a 10 do I double up on my medication yes or no
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

Coumadin is an anticoagulant means it prevents clotting of blood thus decreasing clots formation.

Don't double up any medication just for pain relief without your doctor advise.

For pain relief, consult your treating doctor for appropriate and suitable analgesic as most of the painkillers will have drug interactions with coumadin by increasing its anti clotting action leading to bleeding tendency.

So I advise you not to double up your medication and consult your doctor for pain relief.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.