Taking citalopram, donepezil and bupropion for brain aneurysm. Is it safe to drink alcohol?

Question
Hi, I am a 62 year old female who suffered a brain aneurism about two years ago.
I am currently taking Citalopram, Donepezil and Bupropion.
I have given up smoking and would enjoy a cocktail in the evening at home. Would it be OK?
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your question.

Citalopram and Bupropion enhance the CNS depression of Alcohol. If you are taking the medications for dementia then I would not recommend drinking any alcohol.

If you are taking the medications for other reasons, then use caution when alcohol. Do not go beyond one drink: a 12-ounce bottle or can of typical (5% ABV) beer a 5-ounce glass of typical (12% ABV) wine a 1.5-ounce shot of 80-proof (40% ABV) liquor (either straight or in a mixed drink). Do not drive and do this in the safety of your own home. I would also consult with your doctor as well to see what he says. There are reasons why you are taking these medications that I may not be aware of and may contraindicate the use of alcohol.

I hope this answers your question. I will gladly assist you more if you have further questions.

Dr. Ward

Follow-up: Taking citalopram, donepezil and bupropion for brain aneurysm. Is it safe to drink alcohol? 6 hours later
Thank you for the information Dr. Ward. I was hoping that a glass of wine once or twice a week would be alright. I'm usually at home at night watching TV or reading -
certainly not driving a car.

What do think about medicinal marijuana?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for your response.

The glass of wine once or twice a week at home should not be a problem based solely on the medications you are taking. However, stay aware of exacerbated symptoms of intoxication and take note if a glass of wine is too much to handle.

Medicinal Marijuana is not recommended for patients taking antipsychotics and antidepressants. It could cause greater depression and paranoia.

Kind Regards

Dr. Ward