Taking ciprofloxacin and metronidazole for diverticulosis. Have defecated while asleep. Meaning?

Neurologist, Surgical
I am taking medication, ciprofloxacin and metronidazole, for diverticulosis, and have had two accidents wherein I defecate w/o trying. I have awaken in the night to find I have defecated while asleep. What could this mean?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 45 minutes later

You have provided me a very short history. I need to know few more details to answer you correctly.
1. When was the accident happened?
2. Details of injury you had?
3. Did you have any such episode when you are awake?

If you do not defecate when awake, then it is unlikely that you have a any neurological problem or related to accident.

In your case, loss of bowel control seems to be due to gastroenterology related. I would suggest you to see a gastroenterologist for physical examination which is mandatory to come to a conclusion.

Please provide me answers to my questions if possible or the elaborated history so that I can help you more specifically.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Taking ciprofloxacin and metronidazole for diverticulosis. Have defecated while asleep. Meaning? 3 hours later
I apologize for my phrasing which led you to believe that by saying "accident", I meant that I had been injured. I have not been in an accident. What I meant to say is that I had one incident of involuntary defecation while awake and another one while I was asleep. Could these incidents be related to the effects on my system of taking the antibiotics that have been described for my diverticulosis?

Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 16 hours later
Hello again.

Thanks for the corrected history.

All Antibiotics has it's own minor or major side effects. Particularly the antibiotics you are taking, does not cause involuntary defecation. But, it can cause loose motion sometimes which can become uncontrollable.

You had only two episodes. I would suggest you to wait and observe for few more days. If it still repeats then clinical evaluation can be done. But, it is unlikely due to antibiotics.

I hope, this answers your query.

I wish you speedy recovery.