Taking antibiotic for fever, cough and cold. Looking for suggestion

Hi I am from India
I have been having fever / cough and cold every month.. Please suggest. Every time I have taken Antibiotic dosage
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 54 minutes later

Thanks for your question.

Recurrent infections with fever / cough and cold can happen in conditions of decreased immunity or the chronic diseases.

Various common causes are:

Immunoglobulin deficiency
Chronic renal failure
Chronic liver failure
Deflected nasal septum leading to recurrent upper respiratory infections
Undiagnosed cystic fibrosis
Other essential vitamin and nutritional deficiencies.

I think if you are having far too frequent episodes, please consult a doctor to go for the basic preliminary investigations to get to the cause of the problem.

If you require further information, please let me know.

Follow-up: Taking antibiotic for fever, cough and cold. Looking for suggestion 19 minutes later
Which tests should be conducted primarily ?

Please suggest the course of action.
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

The basic blood tests like complete blood count to look for hemoglobin level, packed cell volume and the other parameters to look for any kind of anemia.

Liver and kidney function tests for the assessing the functions of these two important organs, these are also done by blood tests.

And if they all are fine, you can look for the special tests for individual immunoglobulins and cystic fibrosis.

Please consult a local doctor to arrange them.