Taking antibiotic after knee replacement. Test showed low white blood count. Suggest a diet plan

My son had knee replacement. He went back in because of infection and had the knee opened up and the infection
cleaned out. In the hospital they started him on antibotics. He has continued the antibotics at home (stafh infection)
The infection was getting better and now his white blood count is low and he has to discontinue antibotic in the pic line.
Is there anything he should be eating or should he be taking vitamins? He has been drinking alot of liquids.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

Primary instructions would be rest and to avoid physical activity for a while, in view of this a healthy balanced diet is important to avoid gaining weight which would stressful on the knees once rehabilitation begins.

His diet should include: low fat food and dairy, lean protein, whole grains, carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables at least 2-3 times a day. Also divide his meals into 5-6 servings and in small portions. Continue hydrating him as you have mentioned.

As his antibiotics were discontinued, we should boost the healing of his wounds through his diet. We can do this by including: vitamins C (boosts healing and protects from infections), vitamin D (development and maintenance of bones) and protein (promotes growth and strength of skin and muscles and protects from infections).

Vitamin C: broccoli, cabbage, citrus fruits, tomatoes, kiwis, berries, etc.
Vitamin D: sun exposure (5-10 minutes a day), milk, etc.
Protein: Fish, poultry, eggs, etc.

I hope this information has helped. Feel free to write back to me with any further information, I would be glad to help. Wishing your son a speedy recovery and good health thereafter.

Best wishes.