How to reduce post pregnancy weight?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
How to reduce wt, I have 3 yrs old son before pregnancy I was 59kg, during preganancy I gained arround 25kg ie end of pregnancy I was 84kg but after delivery I did not reduce. Now I am 72kg how to reduce please advice, Iam active by doing all house hold works and also am working....
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Weight
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 3 hours later
Brief Answer: low calorie diet with exercises Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, The lingering post delivery weight is a very common problem with women and the reasons for this vary from, genetics to lifestyle to post delivery care. because of the involvement of various different factors for such increase in weight, the plan for weight loss also needs to be comprehensive and there should be strict compliance will. The first and the most important step towards weight loss is to improve the basic metabolic rate, which in turn would ensure that you burn more calories every minute. Consider the following for achieving the same: • Exercising • Building muscle by increasing your intake of protein and moderate weight training • Increase your water intake to at least 3 liter daily • Have 6-7 small meals through the day • Black coffee and green tea do help in burning fat • Increase your intake of fiber in the form of vegetables, salad, whole pulses and cereals and fruits with the skin. In addition considering the following points would help: • Avoid foods rich in fat or sugar and the refined foods like refined wheat flour, provides more calories. It is advisable to limit the intake of these foods in the diet. • The saturated fats like ghee, vanaspati, cream and butter do not qualify to be a part of your weight reduction diet plan. Vegetable oils are much safer when taken in controlled quantities. Limit the oil intake and completely avoid taking the deep or shallow fried foods. • Fibers are the insoluble parts of the plant food sources. Since they are not digested in our gut, they remain to be there for longer time and do not make us feel hungry. The fiber rich foods like beans, green leafy vegetables, whole grains and cereals, fruits and vegetables are found to be helpful in losing weight. • Limit the intake of sugar, cream, cakes, chocolates, candies, sweets and restrict rice intake to once per day, preferably for lunch. • Choose the low fat dairy products. Include low fat curd in daily diet. • If you eat non – vegetarian foods, stick to leaner options of fish and chicken and avoid egg yolk. Red meat and organ meats are also not suggested. • Include antioxidants in your diet. A liberal intake of fresh fruits and vegetables would provide its sufficient quantities. Also include green tea in your daily routine as this helps in boosting the metabolism. If you have fat deposits around the abdominal area, include exercises like crunches, V up and sit up. As you have a small child and are working also, then to begin, I would suggest you to start a brisk walk of 10- 15 min. and slowly accommodate the exercise time in your schedule. Do not lie down immediately after the meals. Take lighter dinner and make it a habit to drink lukewarm water after the meals. Foods that help in reducing belly fat include pears, XXXXXXX cider vinegar, yogurt, unsalted popcorn, green tea, black coffee (sugarless) and black beans. Use less salt in diet. Hope this helps. Meenakshi