Taking amoxicillin for throat and ear infection. Diabetic patient. Sudden increase in sugar levels. Due to medications?

Question
I am taking amoxicillin for a throat and ear infection. However, I am Type II diabetic and seem to be having some problems with my blood sugar increasing up to 447 pts. or higher Should I go to the emergency room?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
thank you for your query.
To begin with i will like to tell you that in there are two factors that play in increasing the blood sugar level in Type 2 diabetes.

1) Infection

2) Antibiotics

So you can see that in your case, its the COMBINATION of the above two that has caused your blood sugar to rise.

I would advise you first that you should see your primary care and let him know about the raised sugar levels .And if your sugar levels have risen AFTER you started the amoxicillin medication, then once the medication is stopped the levels will come to controlled level.

however if you are experiencing symptoms of hyperglycemia which include;

1) Excessive urination

2) Excessive thirst

3) Dehydration

4) Nausea

5) Vomiting

6) Excessive hunger

Then you should visit the emergency room.

If you have any other queries on this write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr Puneet Oberoi

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.

Follow-up: Taking amoxicillin for throat and ear infection. Diabetic patient. Sudden increase in sugar levels. Due to medications? 3 hours later
Thank You. Is it okay and safe to take amoxicillin, metformin and lorcet (for pain) all at the same time?

Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 15 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX ,

Thanks for your follow up query ,

Yes , it is safe to consume Amoxicillin with Metformin and Lorcet at the same time.

Wish you Good Health