Taking alpha blocker. Developed urinary track infection. Having frequent urination. Can I take Tamsulosin ?

I own a tight protate, not enlarged. Taking alpha blocker (tamsulosin)0.4mg. One per day Now developped urinary track infection late last Thursday while on the road (still 1000miles to go). Doctor prescribed Ciprofloxacn 500mg last friday morning, 2 per day; 5 tablets taken so far. Been stuck in a motel for 4 days. Infection feeling a bit better but now I can hardly urinate and the frequency of the urges makes it unthinkable to get back on the road. My question: could I take 2 Tamsulosin per day to ease the flow for at least the days I have left on the road
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 33 minutes later
Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX
The optimal dose of tamsulosin is 0.4 mg taken once daily. Studies conducted for 0.8 mg has not concluded in increased symptom improvement scores compared to 0.4 mg dose. But one may increase the dose to 0.8 mg if the lower dose has inadequate response after 2-4 weeks of treatment. This may be attributable to personalised response. Considering this you may try for higher dose.
Since your ciprofloxacin, you must continue it for prescribed duration. Your urgency can also be attributable, at least partially to this infection. Once it is resolved you will get relief. You can also get relief by urine alkalizer syrups like potassium citrate to be taken mixed with glass of water...

Best wishes