Taking Reishi mushroom, itchy vulva, skin peeling between legs. Should I be concerned?

May 2013
Hey. I was taking reishi mushroom about 1600 mg a day in May and I am not sure what caused it, my vulva has been itchy for a month and skin peeling between the legs. Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

The possible causes for your symptoms are,

-reishi mushrooms said to cause amplification of allergies when used in regular basis,

-infections of lower genital tract:especially fungal infection is known to cause peeling of skin and itchy local parts.

-contact dermatitis: when material used for inner ware causes allergy or
allergy to pads used during menstrual cycle can cause these symptoms

-diabetes mellitus: achanthosis nigricans is a condition that can occur in diabetes, where discoloration of skin over groin area can be seen, sometimes itching and peeling of the skin of local parts can be seen due to increased suspectability to infections.

so you better once consult gynecologist and undergo physical examination and investigations like blood sugar levels which will probably detect cause and treatment can be given accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.