Taking Provera and Clomid. LH surge test results variable. Ovulating or not?

Hi, I have a question like I have a irregular periods and i took provera to get my periods.and on 5th day of my period i started taking clomid 100mg for 5-9 days . today is my 12th day. On 11th day i tested my LH surge using a Ovulation kit.It showed me Positive. And Today -12th day also i tested but it did not show me any Positive sign rather it was negative .Am i Ovulating or not.Pls help me in this ..."
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

Once you have got a positive result for LH (Leutenizing hormone) surge, it means the LH levels have reached their peak and it suggests that ovulation is about to occur within next 24–48 hours, giving you two days to engage in sexual intercourse.

Once the LH levels reach their peak, these levels start declining and the test can come negative after 24 hours. Once positive test in your fertile period definitely suggests an impending ovulation and you should try to conceive.

LH is supposed to start dropping right before you ovulate. Having a negative test after 24 hours further confirms that you are about to ovulate.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Taking Provera and Clomid. LH surge test results variable. Ovulating or not? 27 minutes later
Thanks for ur reply,Is there ANy possibliites that My LH surge is positive but iam not ovulating. I Badly think of having a child.SO i am kind of disturbed. Do we have any possibilites like that ...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Lh kit tests are fairly accurate and highly specific tests. There is a very remote chance of any false positives.
A positive LH surge is a sure indicator of an impending ovulation.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free early conception.
Follow-up: Taking Provera and Clomid. LH surge test results variable. Ovulating or not? 38 hours later
Hi, I have a question like as i said earlier i got a positive ovulation and next day it was negative and 3rd day when i checked in the evening it came out Positive again ..and today i checked it was negative again...What is the reason why it came out positive in the middle ..Iam kind of confused...Can u pls clarify this...Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

Nice to see you again.

Repeated positive and negative tests alternately can be due to-
1. Your second test is false negative due to either problem in the kit used or its procedure.
2. You are having irregular wide variations in the hormonal levels.

You need to monitor your baseline LH levels in the next cycle without any ovulation induction to know the reason.