Taking Plavix, Aspirin. Refrain from anal sex?

I am on Plavix 75mg one/day and a low dose Aspirin a day and I am XXXXXXX and I want to know if I have to refraim from receiving anal sex because of the risk of bleeding and what are the risk of nose bleed during while giving oral.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Both Plavix and Aspirin contain antiplatelet drugs and increase the tendency of bleeding when a minor trauma is there. I can understand your concern and considering your HIV status, it is advisable to avoid anal intercourse.

Anal intercourse can result in tear of the anal mucosa and this is more likely for the reciepient. Since you are taking these antiplatelet drugs so receiving anal sex can cause mucosal tear and hence there is increased risk of bleeding. This bleeding may be difficult to control without medical supervision.

The risk of bleeding increases manyfold if you already have hemorrhoids and anal fissures. So I suggest you to avoid receiving any anal intercourse. There is unlikely to be any nose bleed during oral intercourse, however there is risk of bleeding due to trauma due to teeth bite during oral intercourse. So it should be done carefully.

In addition considering your HIV status, always use condoms and indulge in safe sex so that risk of transmission of HIV is minimal.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.