Taking Paxil for anxiety, have RSD. Afraid of medical personnel. How can I make sure she is okay?

Question
My friend has a huge fear of any kind of medical person. Sometimes I think she refuses to go in to see one when she should. She has RSD and takes paxil for anxiety, but it took 6 months to convince her to go. She has had a traumatic event when she was 16, now she is 29. She says she is over it and can't even remember it, but i think it still effects her. She won't talk about it. Ambulances make her hands sweat, she won't go in a hospital, and has to take two vuliums to see her pain specialist. She is terrified to have kids because it involves medical and will not see an OBGYN. She is ashamed to admit there is a problem. She also gets frustrated because she fantasizes about the event as well as has panic attacks. I think medical people give her that sense of helplessness and vulnerability. Plus the experience shes had hasn't been pleasant. How can I make sure she is okay without having her go to medical personnell?
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 18 minutes later
Hi Zx,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The problem of your friend is complex.
Without seeing the patient and examining the patient it is very difficult and at times in certain physical ailments it is practically impossible to gauze the extent of the problem.
You have narrated the problem very nicely; I am sure she has got a psychological trauma and that has resulted in the conflicts and depression and panic attacks.
You can get a psychiatrist, request him/her to talk to your friend outside hospital settings and interview her about her problem as a friend known to you.
She would need anxiolytics, antidepressants and a behavioural therapy to overcome her fears and beliefs.
I know it is diddicult to get a psychiatrist like this but you can adjust time/venue of the visit when he is out.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Taking Paxil for anxiety, have RSD. Afraid of medical personnel. How can I make sure she is okay? 12 minutes later
Where can I find a psychiatrist that would be able to adapt to her needs? how do I polietly force her to go? She has a particular sensitivity to psychologist/psychiatrists. After her trauma she saw one brieflly, but he seemed more interested in getting her able to perform in bed then helping her deal with it. She doesn't quite trust that anyone could possibly care, especially medical.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi Zx,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
You should have understood her problem in advance.
If she had been suffering a sexual harassment then you should take her to only a female Psychiatrist, she would also delve questions related to sex and her bad experience in past and the current status just to get to the vital points where to settle the issue.
Do not take her to any male Psychiatrist because the minute details of the past experience is necessary and your friend would again walk out telling a "in getting her able to perform in bed then... XXXXXXX like issue.
You should approach clinicians around and possibly they can help you arrange such an appointment, I may cost you more as compared to routine appointment.
I hope the answer would guide you through.

Follow-up: Taking Paxil for anxiety, have RSD. Afraid of medical personnel. How can I make sure she is okay? 17 hours later
I didn't pick him. She was going to him from before the event. He was also the same psychologist as the one for her agressor. She eventually told him and he did nothing to resolve the ongoing issue. She has trust issues with females as well. What will they require her to do?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi Zx,
The psychiatrist will go in the finer details of the traumatic events she has suffered till date and ask details in large and also note her comfort level with the things of past. How much flash back is there, She would try to gauze.
She may also put her under effect of a drug and then question her, a method called Psychoanalysis to resolve psychiatric conflicts.
Counselling is vital in your friend's case.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is a science of behaviour study and corrective measures in itself
I wish your friend a great health!