Taking Norco medication for arthritis pain. What is the correct dose?

i am taking Norco medication for pain. I am 84 years old with arthritis and have been prescribed Norco 10/325 strength - taking one tablet four times daily. Is there danger for me?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: the dose is accurate Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Norco is a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone, hydrocodone is in the opiate family of pain killers. In terms of potential side effects in older persons, most of the clinical studies that have been conducted with hydrocodone did not include a significant number of persons over age 65 to determine whether they respond differently than younger persons. There is some concern if there is any impaired kidney function because both the hydrocodone and acetaminophen are excreted by the kidney , this means that if there is any issue with your kidneys it is possible that there may be some build up of toxic breakdown products of the hydrocodone and acetaminophen. If there is no issue with your kidney function then it is the general side effects that need to be considered. In terms of the dosage, it is normally given 1 tablet every 4 to 6 hours so your dose is not unusual. Some of the general side effects are: dizziness, lightheadness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting ,constipation,dry mouth, difficulty urinating, urinary retention. In summary, the medication can be used safely at the dose that it has been described. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions