Taking Levothroxine. Having irregular periods, lasting for weeks. Side effects of medication?

I am 41 years old I started taking Levothroxine 50 MCG 2 months ago. Since than my periods have been irregular light and lasting 2 weeks or more. The last couple of days I have passed 3 clots. Could the Medication be causing this I have never had irregular periods.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 2 hours later
Hello Madam,
You are 41/F. you had regular menstrual cycle till Feb/Mar. For the last 2 months you are taking levothyroxin 50 mcg. After that your period became irregular, lasts for 2 weeks and it is light in nature. Within the last 2 days you have passed 3 clots.
The probable causes may be:
1) Early Perimenopausal
2) Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)
Advise: Once again assess your Thyroid and ovarian hormones, if necessary adjust the dosage of thyroxin, USG of abdomen and if necessary Endometrial Biopsy.
With this we can arrive at a diagnosis and treat the cause. Passing of Clots at this age needs a complete investigations even though you may be normal in all aspects.
Best wishes