Taking Imodium and rifagut for IBS. Will it be cured by these medicines?

Question
I have developed ibs, can I take both Imodium and rifagut together? This has happened recently only on visit to a small town. Doctor here prescribed rifagut but I found Imodium along with it working better
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic!
I think you do not have IBS if you developed a small town and there the problem started due to this journey.
Please elaborate the problem, how did it start, how long since you are having it, and did you suffer in past with same symptoms if yes when and how long.
Presently what are your symptoms. How many motions, what's the consistency please tell all in a follow up query.
When you go out on travel to a place with lower sanitation and get a loose motion, vomiting it is most likely Travellers diarrhea.
In any case IBS/Traveller's the Rifagut is not indicated.
I will guide you once you tell me the details I have mentioned.

Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Taking Imodium and rifagut for IBS. Will it be cured by these medicines? 3 hours later
Actually this problem has surfaced few months back. Motions are not many but one motion after having food suffices. But if I don't get opportunity to past stool after food usually as I am usually on move then I keep on passing gas throughout the time till I get to go for a motion. I generally pass motions twice a day. Also when this problem occurs stools are semi solid are dark. Passing of gas throughout the day is am embarrassing problem. Gas is passed with sound and mostly without bad odor. I also seem to be lactose intolerant and problem occurs particularly after having a milk product. Can it by dysentry?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
Dysentery has blood in stools also with crampy pain abdomen and diarrhea which is not the case with you.
It appears like you do not have IBS ether.
There may be a bacterial overgrowth or Giardiasis which is causing this problem.
I would suggest to avoid fatty meals/milk for a week and take a course of antibiotics
Ofloxacin 400+Ornidazole 500 twice a day
Cap Spasmo Proxyvon for pain abdomen if required.
and sporolac 2tablets thrice a day just to remove the pathogen and restore normal gut bacteria, later you can resume you normal fat contents in diet.
I hope the advice would be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Taking Imodium and rifagut for IBS. Will it be cured by these medicines? 2 days later
For how many days do I take ornidazole and oflaxacin tablets?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later

Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physician's desk!
The antibiotics course is effective in 7days but if you have some symptoms remaining then take for 10days duration.
You should not forget a single medicine, and avoid taking a milk product 2hours before and after this treatment.

I think the advise would be helpful for you.
Wish you a great XXXXXXX