Taking Glumiun for diabetes. History of pancreatitis. Will sperm count be affected?

I got my sugar level 134 fasting and 212 PP last week and I was suggested glumiun 1 mg before breakfast. After 5 days I got it checked and it was 110 fasting and 116 PP.....Prior to one week it was 160 random. I usually get my checkup done every year and blood sugar was never high. Am I a diabetic now and will need to have medicine for whole life and cannot have sweets etc.
I am doing a walk on daily basis and avoiding sweets etc......Probably I have been taking beers from last 2-3 months on daily basis (stopped now) which might had increased the same. I do chew tobacco along with 1-2 cigrattes in a day...Pls suggest Hieght 5.9..weight 83 age 32.

I had Pancreatitis two years ago and thats why I swtiched to beer instead of spirits having high alcohal level.

As of now my LFT, KFT, CBC are normal but had urine infection(18-20 pus cells when I got it checked along with sugar last week) but is normal now.

Should I have sex in this condition with my wife so that she doesnt get diabetic and will it affect my sperm count. Also I sweat while eating food and in general as well but only on face. Pls suggest to avoid this as well as this is embarrassing. Also will this medicine increase my weight.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later

Welcome to Health Care Magic

According to American Diabetic Association criteria, your blood sugars indicative of XXXXXXX Diabetes Mellitus

Currently you are taking Glimepiride 1 mg which is a sulphonylurea and a secretogogue and it is associated with weight gain, so after review with your physician/diabetologist, try to look for some alternatives.

Diabetes patients should avoid taking alcohol or should take it in moderation, but you have a strong history of pancreatitis, alcohol in any form should be avoided. Smoking should be stopped completely.

It is very common for diabetes patients when uncontrolled, to have metabolic disorder not a infectious, so there is no sexual transmission so you can enjoy your sexual life and even it wont affect your sperm count at earlier stages of the disease.

"Sweating while eating food" this condition is called GUSTATORY HYPERHIDROSIS, It is an autonomic nervous phenomenon, so avoid taking spicy foods and especially alcohol, it will help you a lot. Even vitamin supplementation, especially vitamin B12 will help to decrease the symptoms, so please consult your physician and review it.

Hope these information is helpful for you

Feel free to ask queries

Follow-up: Taking Glumiun for diabetes. History of pancreatitis. Will sperm count be affected? 51 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. Do i have to take this medicine life long n i m permanently diabetic at this point in time ?. Also i cannot leave tobacco intake but can stop smoking n drinking. I have tried a lot.

If i take alchohal ocassionally keeping my sugar levels in mind then wll it be okay as alcohal lowers your sugar levels till the time its in your body. What about the diet intake apart from avoiding sweets etc.

Also can you suggest me a different medicine and i want to check my sugar level without medicines as i think my sugar level was high due to eccessive beer intake..thanks.
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 1 hour later

Right now at this point we cannot clearly tell you should take medicines for life long time, but with good dietary habits and physical activity along with stress free life, most of the times diabetes status improve to the extent that you might have normal sugars without tablets.

You should try to leave tobacco as it will cause many harmful effects to all vital organs in the body, it increases the risk or oral cancers and even incidences of stroke and heart attacks increase with tobacco. Now a days many nicotine patches available in the market for alternative, so please consult your treating physician and take an opinion regarding this.

Alcohol do cause low blood sugars; but in response our body still raises sugars. So you will experience alternating low blood sugars with high blood sugars. We do suggest alcohol in moderation that is one drink per week; but you have past history of pancreatitis, so advised to stop alcohol.

Your diet should consist more of proteins and fibers. Less of Carbohydrates and fats especially saturated fats such as ghee and butter. Green leafs and vegetables are XXXXXXX source of vitamins, minerals and fibers. Even you can take small quantities of fruits. So consult your physician and ask him for any individual contraindications for you.

There are many group of drugs such as biguanides and thiozolidinediones, if you still want to confirm you can get glycated hemoglobin estimation done then you can see the raised sugars are due to beer intake or diabetes but consult your doctor before starting any medicines.

Hope these information is helpful

Thank you