Taking Forecox and Benadon for TB during pregnancy, missed Benadon. What is the impact of missing medication?

Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello Doctor     

My Sis is 7months Pregnant,she was ill recently and after diagnosis we came to know that she is effected with TB which is at initial stage. She has been prescibed to have Forecox 150mg(Morning empty stomach) & Benadon 40mg(afternoon).The course started 2weeks ago.

Unfortunately she missed Benadon tab for 4days instead she had Sestil AD thinking of it is benadon tab strip.Later we found it and again started the course. What could be the impact for the missing the Benadon tab for 4days? Will it effect as she entered into 8th month now.

She has undergone the LFT test recently and report is as follows

RBC - 3.95
WBC - 8600
HB - 9.8

Total Bilirubin - 0.7

Serum Gultomatic Pyruvate - 19Units

Serum alkaline phospate - 450IU\L

Serum Glutamate Oxaloacetate Transaminase - 13U\L.

Please Suggest me any solution if there is any problem

Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 44 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting the query.

After having gone through the medical history of your sister, I would like to comment the following.

1. Your sister is taking Tab. forecox 1 tablet in the morning currently for Pulmonary TB (TB of the lungs). The correct dosing for adult is according to weight. If you could let me know her weight, I can guide you regarding the correct dosing, the dose is normally 2 tablets in the morning. You can take them after light breakfast.

2. Do not worry about missing 4 doses of benadon. Continue from now onwards. Benadon is given to prevent peripheral neuropathy associated with INH among anti tb drugs.

3. LFT seems to be normal.

Just continue the medications in accordance with the treatment regime.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Taking Forecox and Benadon for TB during pregnancy, missed Benadon. What is the impact of missing medication? 14 minutes later
Hello Doctor

Thanks a lot for the reply. It has been relieved me a lot . She currently weighs 58kgs. She is having forecox early in the morning regularly. I was only worried about the Benadon tab as she took Sestil AD instead as she is carrying.

i have one more query. Would the TB effect the fetus? Will there be any further problems? Is it contagious?

Thanks
AAAAA

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

There is no need to worry.

Normally Lungs TB rarely affect the fetus.
If she was sputum smear or culture positive for TB then it is infectious else not.
Future problems depend on the type and extent of current tb. If you could let me know details regarding current TB diagnosis (how was TB diagnosed currently? On what investigations?), then I can comment on it.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist