Taking Aygestin for heavy periods. Periods now are heavier. Blood work shows menopause. Suggest?

I am 63 and currently taking Aygestin. I have been taking it for 13 years for heavy periods and it has worked until recently. My periods are now heavier there before. My blood work shows I have been through menopause. What would happen if I just stopped taking Aygestin?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Please answer the following questions:
1. When was the bloodwork done that said you were in menopause?
2. Do you get a period every month?
3. Have you ever had an ultrasound or biopsy of the uterine lining?

Thank you!
Follow-up: Taking Aygestin for heavy periods. Periods now are heavier. Blood work shows menopause. Suggest? 4 hours later
#1 - Blood work was done in March, 2013

#2 - Yes, I have never missed a monthly period, some have been heavier than others.

#3 - Yes, I had a biopsy of the uterine lining in 2008 and an ultrasound in 2002. Results were normal.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Thank you for the followup.

I am a little disturbed that you are 63 years old, in menopause, and having bleeding that is assumed to by cycle related. I kow that you could presume that it is related to the hormones that you are taking, but this is potentially a XXXXXXX assumption. It helps that you had a biopsy of the uterine lining 5 years ago and an ultrasound 11 years ago, but even by your own description, something has changed. I think it is extremely important for you to do the following:

1. You need to schedule a visit with an OB/GYN
2. You need a repeat endometrial biopsy
3. You need an ultrasound called a 'sonohysterogram' to check for endometrial polyps

If the bleeding continued, I would personally recommend that you go ahead with a D&C for a more complete sampling the endometrial lining before continuing on hormones. The concern is that there could be pre-cancerous changes occurring despite the normal evaluation in 2008. I would consider this a new problem as the bleeding has worsened.

Let me know if this helps!