Taking 50 mg toprol xl for HBP. Started heart palpitations. Is this normal?

HI. I'm taking 50 mg toprol xl for HBP. Been on it for 2 months now. I'm starting to experience low pulse at night (50) and just as I'm falling asleep, I feel my heart flutter or skip a beat. Is this a normal side effect?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

It looks like the medication is somehow bringing your heart rate to a very low level which is causing the symptoms you are experiencing including fatigue and maybe some dizziness.

Also the fact that you are having some palpitations is also concerning. I really think you need to bring this to the attention of your physician as he may consider a different medication to help keep your heart rate and blood pressure under better control.

I would not regard this as an emergency and I think you can see your doctor sometime in the next week or so to have this checked

If you have any additional concerns please let me know.

Dr Robert