Taking 150mcg thyronorm for TSH>150. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Looking for advice

I'm 25yr and I had TSH > 150 five months back.Our Physician advised to take 150mcg thyronorm. After 3 months when we had a test for TSH again, it was come down to TSH <0.01 and doctor asked me to reduce to 100mcg. This is my 5th month of the treatment and my periods was 28 days last month, but for this month its 45 days.I tested for Pregnancy and it was negative. I'm worried abt this irregular periods.I'm married 10 months back and we are planning for the kids now, does this affect my conceive ? Can i get pregnant without any problems ? I'm very worried .....Please advice ... I don't have any other health problems
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 42 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Your initial TSH of >150 was remarkable and I agree with the original starting dose of 150mcg of thyroid hormone. Based on the followup TSH, you were obviously slightly over-treated and I also agree with dropping this back down to 100mcg. Women who are hypo- or hyper-thyroid will invariably have irregular cycles. This is related to irregularity in terms of when you ovulate.

If your periods were previously regular, then once your thyroid is adequately controlled, your cycles should revert to a normal pattern. I would recommend making sure that your thyroid is properly treated before getting pregnant. This means finding a dose where your TSH is in the normal range. The good thing is that you are young and time is still on your side. It should not take long to get this sorted out.

I do not think that you should have any problems getting pregnant once your thyroid is properly treated and your cycles go back to normal. With regular cycles comes predictability in terms of when you ovulate (which is usually about cycle day #14 if you count the first day of your period as day #1).

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions. Good luck!
Follow-up: Taking 150mcg thyronorm for TSH>150. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. Looking for advice 25 minutes later
Thanks for your help!!

Can you please help with few following questions,
1) Usually how long will it take to get the my cycles back to Normal?
2) For how many months once shld i go to TSH levels?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 minutes later
Usually we will make an adjustment in the thyroid medication and check the levels 6 weeks later. So in answer to question #1, probably 2-3 cycles. In terms of how often to go back for thyroid levels, I would say this:

1. Every 6 weeks until the TSH is normal (with medication adjustments)
2. Then 3 months later, if normal
3. Then every 6 months
4. Every 6 weeks during pregnancy

I hope this helps! Good luck!!