Taken pill after sex. Positive pregnancy test. Ultrasound negative. Am I pregnant?

Question
i had a i pill after 20 hrs of sex and when i missed my period i tested on prega news and got positive result and in ultrasound i got negative result.am i pregnant? if i am pregnant .i want to abort it.it has 28 days from my sex.please suggest the medicines to abort it.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Radhika 22 minutes later

You have taken I pill 20 hrs after intercourse and following this you have got positive results in Prega news and negative on ultrasound scan.

I pill should be preferably taken within 12 hours and no later than 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. You have taken after 20 hours, it is doubtful that it has worked.

Also in a Ultrasound, gestational sac is visible only after around 5 to 6 weeks and a tiny heart beat around 7 to 8 weeks. It is too early to detect pregnancy through ultra sound this early at 28 days.

Trans-abdominal ultrasound cannot reliably diagnose pregnancies that are less than 6 weeks gestation. Trans-vaginal ultrasound, by contrast, can detect pregnancies earlier, at approximately 4 ½ to 5 weeks gestation. But you have done at 4 weeks. So there is a possibility that you are pregnant.

Today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation / your doctor will know about these drugs.

I am sorry I cannot prescribe you the abortion pills without examining you. It would be unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Taken pill after sex. Positive pregnancy test. Ultrasound negative. Am I pregnant? 4 hours later
sir,my intercourse is around 25 days,and is this a case of ectopic pregnancy? i have cramping lower abdominal.what may be the possible cause?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 15 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Even if it is 25 days following intercourse, it is still not possible to detect pregnancy now. You need to be at least 4 ½ weeks to 5 weeks pregnant to make this out.

Cramping in lower abdomen could be due many reasons like acidity, indigestion, ulcers, and kidney stones. Abdominal cramping can be seen in early pregnancy and ectopic pregnancy too. But there is no need to worry it is unlikely to be Ectopic.

The symptoms of ectopic pregnancy can be seen as early as 6 weeks. The symptoms of ectopic pregnancy will be vaginal bleeding, lower abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, tiredness. Also you will experience dizziness and sudden increase in pulse rate. An Ectopic pregnancy can be detected in scanning too by 6 weeks.

You can take syrup Gelusil 2 tsp before food for 5 days and avoid coffee, tea, spicy food, oily food for some days. Drink sufficient fluids too.

It is better to consult a Gynecologist before coming to conclusions and getting worried. You do need to repeat your urine pregnancy test again after examination. Then the doctor can prescribe you medications for the same.