Taken norethisterone after periods started. Will this mess up my cycle?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi i started my period 6 days ago but started to take norethisterone and still have some sort of period will this mess up my cycle?
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later
hi,

norehisterone is a progesterone which used in cases of progesterone deficiency and in postponing periods,
as you took tablets after establishment of menstruation the tablets possibly failed in stopping the bleeding completely may be because of that you are having spotting,
as by using external hormones you interfered with normal menstrual cycle it will usually change the regularity of menstrual cycle to some extent,
so possibly there may be withdrawal bleeding after 4 to 5 days of stopping the pills or your periods may get delayed,
this irregularity is generally short lived and regular cycles will return soon.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Taken norethisterone after periods started. Will this mess up my cycle? 22 hours later
thank you,
the only concern i have is that its been quiet heavy and not all the time has it been a normal color and has been quite painfull, is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later
hi,

sometimes after taking pills few women may experience these type of symptoms which will possibly subside soon and usually the next cycle will be normal.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.