Taken medicine for shoulder and neck pain. Had constipation. Black tarry stools after taking Ciprofloxaxin. Other drugs?

I'm an 86 year old male who was given 3 pain medications by a new primary care doctor as a result of a rear end collision that caused shoulder and neck pain..All medications indicated danger of constipation & black tarry stools. I became extremely constipated and ended in emergency room where I received an enema and a cathartic bag on my leg. Since then I have been seen by a urologist and doing self caths and now have been advised I have a urine infection and prescribed ciprofloxacn 500 mg which I'm also told can cause black tarry stools. Black tarry stool has developed after 4 days on the Ciproxfloxacn. I fear it will bind me up completely again and I'll be headed back to the emergency ward. Are their drugs for urinary infections that won't cause black tarry stools? Shall I insist on stopping the Ciprofloxacn?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to the forum.
There are enough medicines for the treatment of urinary tract infection from simple medicines like trimethoprim to high end medicines like cefalosporins.
Please discuss with your doctor and get things done.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Taken medicine for shoulder and neck pain. Had constipation. Black tarry stools after taking Ciprofloxaxin. Other drugs? 46 hours later
Since your recommendation was to go ahead and try another product to eliminate the infection that the urologist indicated my urine sample showed, I considered seeking some other source of cure for any infection I might still have or at least have it checked to see if there is really an infection there.

I decided to have a fresh urine sample tested at a local lab without going through my urologist or insurance company (and I would pay the cost myself.)

But I've been told by the labs that there is an Arizona law that prevents them from checking urine for infection without a doctors recommendation. I therefore have made an appointment with my urologist for next Thursday (earliest time available).

And since I don't want to find another doctor to give me a different prescription I'm wondering if you can recommend any non pharmaceutical methods of clearing up possible infections in adult males? I have been told there are many available that might be effective. (I am not particularly concerned since my urologist has not made a suggestion of another prescription drug and I will be seeing her midweek next week.)
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 33 minutes later

Welcome back.
Prevention of UTI is possible by
2. Frequent change of CIC catheters.
3. Avoid constipation.
4. Full course of antibiotics.

Best regards