Taken cipro for UTI. Treatment for lower abdominal pain with frequent bowel movement?

General Surgeon
I am having intermitten cramps in the kiwer abdominal area and also more frequent bowel movements thru out the day.
A month ago this happened and I thought I had the nororvirus. I just finished 3 days of Cipro for UTI.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lower abdominal pain is quite characteristic for the urinary tract infections do recur, you should check your blood sugar level (diabetes causes increased risk of uti) and have urine culture checked as maybe you need another antibiotic.
Antibiotics therapy could also cause such pain and more frequent bowels movement as the antibiotic caused natural intestinal bacterias destruction so the pathological bacterias has grown in the intestines. That is why it is worth to take probiotic along with an antibiotic. I suggest you to start taking probiotic and see if this helps. If no, you should visit your doctor again and have stool tests performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.