Taken Ovex tablet during early pregnancy. Will it harm the baby?

Hi, I took an ovex tablet 100mg about 3 days ago but have just found out I am 2 weeks pregnant (via home kit clearblue); I had no idea when I took the Ovex; will this cause damage to the baby/birth defects??
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have taken 100mg of Ovex tablet and you are 2 weeks pregnant.
Ovex is an anti-helminthic medication taken for treatment of worms.

These Anti-helminthics should not be used during the first three months of pregnancy. They could cause defects in the developing fetus.

If you are infected then your family members should all be treated even in the complete absence of symptoms. You should always scrub your hands and nails after each bowel movement and avoid scratching your bottom because it may spread to your fingers and then again when eating passed to your stomach.

You should also have a bath daily and clean the anal area properly. This advice may be tedious but it should help to eliminate the possibility of re-contamination.

It is better to consult a Gynecologist now, since the tablet should not have been taken and there are possibilities of birth defects. It is suggested to get an obstetric ultrasound done to rule out any such possibilities.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.