Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy? Does ultrasound have any bad effect on baby?

Mar 2016

I am 5 weeks pregnant and not on any medication, I have a few questions: 1. How safe is it to have sex? 2. Does ultrasound has a bad effect on the baby? And how soon can I get one if needed. 3. If this is a ectopic pregnancy what are the symptoms and how soon will I start feeling them. (eg lower abdomen pain).
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) In my opinion, you would avoid sex in the first trimester (max 16 weeks) to reduce risk of miscarriage or pregnancy loss. After that, you can involve in sex with extra precaution like no pressure on lower abdomen, maintenance of genital hygiene, taking comfortable position etc. 2) No, Obstetric Ultrasound Scan has not any bad effect on growing baby. You can undergo first abdominal scan around 6 weeks to reveal gestational sac. Trans Vaginal Ultrasound (TVS scan) give detailed picture 2 weeks earlier than abdominal scan. On TVS scan at 6 weeks, fetal heart beat and fetal pole can be viewed. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist to proceed first scan. 3) Mild lower abdominal pain is quite common during early weeks of pregnancy and it occurs due to relaxin hormone. Most common presentation of ectopic or tubal pregnancy is constant one sided strong lower abdominal pain (or moderate to severe) with mild vaginal bleeding. It occurs mostly within 4 to 8 weeks of gestational age. It is a potential medical emergency and if not treated properly, can lead to death. One TVS scan and serial blood test for beta-hCG level are essential to diagnose and monitor status of ectopic pregnancy for next line management. In addition, you must take folic acid and vitamin supplements till 16 weeks of gestational age for better fetal nervous system and avoid neural tube defect. Take protein rich diet with more green vegetables and fruits, drink more water, take adequate bed rest and do periodic check up to your doctor. Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy? Does ultrasound have any bad effect on baby? 9 minutes later
Thank you for these answers, one last question. Is there any other alternative to find if this is an tubal pregnancy, or do I have to get an ultrasound to confirm if this is normal\ectopic pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: TVS SCAN IS BEST TO RULE OUT ECTOPIC PREGNANCY. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. TVS scan is best in early weeks to rule out ectopic pregnancy. Serial beta-hCG test is also required if ectopic or tubal pregnancy is confirmed for monitoring and further treatment. There is NO other alternative to confirm the same. Ultrasound scan is also helpful in early weeks to reveal all fetal parameters (like gestational sac, fetal heart beat, pole etc) for healthy pregnancy. Hope, it helps for your information. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion. All the best. Good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen