Taken Moxclav and Combiflam for sore throat. Have blood filled bubble on tongue, painless. Could you help?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,
My husband is 30 years old. We just took a roadtrip and are back. He has been having sore throat - he took moxclav and combiflam couple of times till it subsided. Now that we are back, he noticed a black/dark-red bubble filled with blood just below his tongue. The bubble is painless and was discovered when he thought there was some food stuck under his tongue. We are wondering what that is and how to treat it. Could you help?

Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 56 minutes later

Thanks for the query

According to your description, it seems to be either a ranula or a mucocele below the tongue.

Ranula is a blue translucent swelling in the floor of the mouth. Ranula formation occurs when the excretory duct from the sub lingual salivary gland ruptures followed by extravasation and accumulation of saliva into the surrounding tissue. The accumulation of mucous into the surrounding connective tissue forms a pseudocyst (bag filled with fluid). This usually resolves by itself and is a relatively harmless condition. Surgical intervention is required if the cyst enlarges in size or it is causing problems while eating.

Mucoele is a salivary secretions filled sac noticed due to the obstruction in the flow of saliva. When there is dehydration, the salivary secretions become thick and block the opening of the salivary duct. This blockage causes stasis of the salivary secretions leading to the formation of a cyst. This is also a harmless cyst which disappears after sometime. Surgical excision is required if the cyst persists or enlarges.

Without a proper examination it is difficult to come to a conclusion. If you can mail me the photographs of the lesion I will be able to guide you in a better way.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon