Ask a Urologist   »  

Taken Flomax. Due to low BP, have defibrillator and had cardiac arrest many times. Asked to discontinue intercourse

Jul 2016

I have taken Flomax for approximately 10 years. Due to very low blood pressure, it was discontinued about 4 months ago. I have a defibrillator/pacemaker. I have been in cardiac arrest numerous times. My cardiologist said to discontinue sexual intercourse. I am 73 years old. I recently ejaculated and the semen was dark red. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have Hematospermia .needs to be investigated.

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have ejaculated blood in semen what is called as Hematospermia.

You are known to have multiple heart problems and most likely may be taking Aspirin along with medicines for your cardiac problems.

You have been taking Flomax for last 10 years to improve your urine flow.
Flomax is alpha blocker and have a side effect of lowering the blood pressure (Postural Hypo tension) and since you have low blood pressure there is high risk of your blood pressure to lower down further and resulting in syncope.This may be perhaps the reason your cardiologist has asked you to stop taking Flomax.

As regards suggestion to stop sexual intercourse it has been proved scientifically that sexual activities of any type have serious side effects on cardiovascular system and may cause acute myocardial infarction in a cardiac patients due to multi fold increase in cardiac activities and cardiac load during intercourse.

As regards passing blood in semen it may be due to various pathological conditions in Genito Urinary system from bladder, prostate, seminal vesicle or testicles and needs to be investigated thoroughly to find out the source of bleeding. The commonest of causes being:

1) Infection of the prostate.and seminal vesicles.
2) Stones in the seminal vesicles.
3) Stones in the bladder,
4) Infection of the testicle or epididymis etc
5) Due to drugs like Aspirin.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and detail investigations.
Further treatment for hematuria will depend upon the results of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you