Taken Avil for itchy rashes. Feeling drowsy. How to come out of drowsiness?

I took a tablet of avil 50mg yesterday because i was having rashes and itching.. I had a good sleep in night and was not able to get up in the morning. I somehow got up and reached office. But since the time i reached office i have been sleeping. Now because of so much of sleep I Am having heache and still feeling drowsy. How much more time I am going to feel the same and suggest me something to come out of the drowsiness feeling?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Avil contains pheniramine, which is an older anti-histaminic, which have relatively strong sedative (sleep inducing) effects. These drugs are generally used for treating allergies. The drowsiness that you are experiencing is an expected adverse event in this case.
The half life of this drug is 16 to 19 hours and hence it may take about a day for this drug’s effect to wear out. The half life of the drug roughly correlates with the duration of action of a drug. Unfortunately, there is no drug as such which can stop the action of Avil and the drowsiness shall decrease with time. It is advisable not to drive or work on machinery till the action of the drug decreases.
You can try taking a stimulant like tea or coffee but their effectiveness cannot be reliably predicted.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.