Take vitamin and herbs supplements. Having skin sensitivity, redness, flaking on eyelids, temples and chin. Suggest?

My husband and I both take a number of supplements--vitamins and herbs. I have been having an unexplained skin sensitivity for the last couple of years--redness and flaking on my eyelids, temples and under my chin. Skin care products don't seem to have much of an impact, though I have introduced products with no fragrance or dyes and gone the free and clear route with detergents and dryer sheets. Yesterday, my husband's skin seemed irritated. We both seldom go out into the sun, and always apply sun protection.

Is anyone aware of any dietary supplement that could be raising our skin sensitivity? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dietary supplement doesn't seem to be the cause

Detailed Answer:
From the description provided, it seems you are having seborrheic dermatitis.
Seborrheic dermatitis is characterised by itchy red scaly lesions usually involving eyebrows, eyelids, back of ear, nasolabial labial folds etc. It can also involve scalp in form of dandruff.

Seborrheic dermatitis is not related with use of any herbal supplements.
Treatment is by using antidandruff shampoo and application of steroids.
As you are having it since few years, an exfoliative rash induced by drug is highly unlikely.
As far as your spouse's lesions are concerned, the cause can only be commented upon by looking at the lesions.

However, just to rule out if the rashes are due to intake of herbal supplements, I would advise that you upload images of the lesions that both of you are having.

Hoping to hear from you soon.