Take synthroid and have to wait four hours to calcium. Can I take the multivitamin with the lower amount of calcium?

May 2013
I take synthroid and have to wait four hours to take calcium, then four more hours to take the rest of the calcium, then 3 more hours to take a multivitamin. Can I take the multivitamin with the lower amount of calcium?

Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No reported drug interactions

Detailed Answer:
Usually calcium and multi vitamin tablets are not having any notified drug interactions.
But sometimes multivitamin tablets also contain some amount of calcium.
So you calculate the dose of calcium you are taking from all the tablets.
If that dose is recommended to you by your doctor, you can continue the tablets.
And can take multivitamin tablets with low dose calcium supplementation.
If you can get multivitamin tablets with adequate calcium content, like zincofer nurture(calcium 500mg), riconia (calcium 162 mg) etc. That one tablet can be taken instead of these two low dose calcium and multi vitamin tablets.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.
Follow-up: Take synthroid and have to wait four hours to calcium. Can I take the multivitamin with the lower amount of calcium? 7 hours later
I have read that calcium from algae is better than from caltrate so I am trying to do that. Is it okay to take a fiber supplement with the calcium? I am trying to
get my pills down to two times a day since I can't start them with the synthroid. I have heard that calcium and fiber should not be mixed. If I can take calcium with a multivitamin that would help greatly, but can I also take a fiber supplement at one of those times? It just seems like I spend my day taking pills and eating extra times just to be able to take all of the pills. Thank you so much for the help with the multivitamin question and I hope you will be as helpful with the fiber part.
I asked another question this morning and have not heard so I will try again.
Can I take fiber supplements with calcium or is there an interaction that makes it
a bad idea.

Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
No major interactions as per the literature

Detailed Answer:
As per the literature available there are no interactions between calcium and fiber supplements.
Actually calcium may lead to constipation and fiber supplements can help in relieving it.
But natural diet XXXXXXX in fiber can also do this along with providing vitamins and minerals.
So better to choose fiber XXXXXXX food as per as possible.
And better to avoid calcium supplements containing calcium phosphate, if you are choosing fiber supplements containing calcium polycorbophil.