Take clonodine along with vistaril to help sleep. Suggest dosage?

So I take clonodine along with vistaril to help me sleep at night, and I was wondering if taking 4 of the 0.1mg clonodine before bed is ok or is that too much?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dose not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thank you for sending in your query.

Clonidine is a medication which is used primarily to reduce blood pressure (i.e., it is an anti hypertensive medication). It causes drowsiness as one of its side effects.
Improving the quality of sleep or treating insomnia are not its primary actions.

So first of all the use of clonidine is not recommended for you to get a better sleep at night.

Also the dose of clonidine for blood presure control is about 0.1 mg two to three times in a day. Use of 4 tablets at one time may cause a sudden drop in your blood pressure and produce symptoms like giddiness, cold extremities etc.

So I would definitely not recommend the use of 4 tablets of clonidine for your problem.

It would be worthwhile visiting a physician who can evaluate your sleeping problem and prescribe necessary medications if required (which are more safer than clonidine). He/she could also evaluate your sleeping habits and see if any non medical therapy will work.

I hope this was helpful

Best wishes
Dr. Aditya Bhabhe