Take Atenolol. Feeling uneven heartbeat. Had two sessions of hormone replacement therapy. Cause?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
OK, I take Atenolol 50 mg a day. About an hour before the 24 hours are complete, I feel uneven heartbeat.
The symptoms disappear after 15 min from taking the tablet.
It started after I had two sessions of hormone replacement therapy.

What could be the reason? Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am a bit confused as you have stated your gender as male and you are taking hormone replacement therapy? The problem you are describing is not due to atenolol and is definitely can either be linked to hormone replacement therapy or could be due to some problem in the heart (conduction defect).
I would strongly recommend that you visit a cardiologist immediately and have an ECG. If a normal ECG fails to show the problem, then you can opt for a holter monitor. This monitors the ECG and heart rhythm for 24 hours and would be able to register the problem, which can be dealt with subsequently.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other problem.

Follow-up: Take Atenolol. Feeling uneven heartbeat. Had two sessions of hormone replacement therapy. Cause? 1 hour later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Here is the situation in more details:

Due to slight hair loss in my legs and eye brows, a went for a blood test in Bangkok (considered as cosmetic not a medical condition). Free Testosterone measured 83 pg/ml (low). The doctor prescribed Nibido injection every three months (I received two injections), Testosterone cream 10% daily and Thyroid 30 mg once a day.

Once I developed the uneven heart beat shortly before the Atenolol circadian dose of 50mg, I stopped the cream, Thyroid and didn't take any other injection.

Heart beats are more precise than the Swiss watch during 23 hours plus. Only about 30 min or so before the complete of the 24 h cycle, I feel uneven heart beats. I take it as an addictive response to Atenolol.

What could be the culprit?

Thank you.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 11 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your history with me. Atenolol is certainly not the culprit and it is a very safe anti-hypertensive medication. The culprit in you case are the injections which you took, which have a prolonged action and the thyroid medications. Excessive thyroid meds are known to cause arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat).

I still think you should consult a cardiologist and schedule an ECG and a holter monitoring.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply. I will consult a cardiologist.

Other query:
Apart from calcium in milk, what is the best medication for healthy joints after the age of 64?

Although my joints are healthy. I think it is time to consider some sort of routine maintenance for healthy bones and joints.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 25 minutes later
Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for asking your query. Milk and non vegetarian food is XXXXXXX in calcium but in addition to this you can take calcium pills (500mg twice a day) to maintain good bone health.