Tail bone pain, CT scan shows edema. No masses found. How is an infection possible within tissues?

Hello. i am a female age 47, two grown children via c-section. I have been experiencing severe tail bone pain for months, then about a month ago it got much worse, i didnt think it was possible to be honest. I kept bugging my GP until she finally requested a ct scan. the scan shows edema, and swelling along the midline of my buttox from about the middle of the sacrum all the way to about ab inch after the tailbone. no masses where found. my doctor and another she consulted with feel i have a XXXXXXX tissue infection surrounding my tailbone and put me on 14days of antibotic. How is an infection possible within the tissues of there has been no break in the skin?
could this be a mistake for something more serious? also my left baby toe seems to be effected. i do not know if its related or not. but the pain i have in my bottom is nearly the same with my baby toe. i have terrible fatigue, general feeling of sickness and a headache that will not go away. i have so far taken 1 complete dose of antibotics.

can you plesd give me your opinion on my tailbone? thank you!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

There can be several reasons for tail bone pain and the causes can be:

Tail bone fracture
Local infection
Pilonidal cyst
Inflammation in tail bone causing coccydynia

Since antibiotics in full course and CT(Computed tomography) has been done,local infection and fracture tail bone is ruled out.Physical and clinical examination can rule out pilonidal cyst and sciatica
Discuss with your doctor for the possibility of coccydynia.

Coccydynia is inflammation of tail bone and generally occurs because of injury to the bone although it can occur spontaneously without obvious injury

Treatment includes:

Local hot fomentation by Sitz bath
Anti inflammatory pain killers
Local injection of cortisone
In severe cases ,even surgical excision of tail bone is done.

I hope to have answered your query
Any further query is welcome
Thanks and wish you good luck.
Follow-up: Tail bone pain, CT scan shows edema. No masses found. How is an infection possible within tissues? 1 hour later
hello Dr. thank you for helping me. my dr ruled out everything except infection.
I would like to know if this infection could be the reasons for my baby toe pain,
general ill feeling, and this headache that will not go away could all be related
to the infection in my tailbone.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Your tail bone infection can cause general ill feeling and headache but may be reason is different for the pain in little toe
Any ways go with the diagnosis of your doctor since he has examined you thoroughly and personally
I think you just wait and watch and complete the treatment
Thanks and best of luck