TSH is 6.45. Advised to take Thyronorm. Should I be worried about the findings?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Question TSH is 6.45. T3 is 100 and T4 is 10 kindly my doctor has suggested me 37.5 mcg Thyronorm tablet. Kindly advise
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supplementation needed.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Your T3 and T4 levels are within normal range but TSH is elevated. The purpose of TSH hormone is to stimulate the thyroid gland to secrete T3 and T4. Since your TSH is elevated but T3 and T4 are normal, it indicates that your thyroid gland is able to produce the required amount of T3 and T4 but needs excess amount of TSH to do so. This is also called subclinical hypothyroidism. If this is left untreated, after some time, even the excess level of TSH fails to produce the required level of T3 and T4 hormones and then, the person suffers from clinical hypothyroidism. In addition, excess levels of TSH are not good for the body.

That is why subclinical hypothryroidism is also treated with thyroid hormone supplementation, so that TSH levels fall back to normal.

I agree with your doctor that you need thyroxine supplementation, though I feel that just 25 mcg once daily may have been enough. However, you can take 37.5 mcg as advised by your doctor and repeat the thyroid function tests after around three months. It can be then decided if you need this dose or a change is needed.

Hope this clarifies things for you. Please write back if you have any doubts.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry
Follow-up: TSH is 6.45. Advised to take Thyronorm. Should I be worried about the findings? 8 hours later
Deat dr thank you. I was taking 25 mcg thyronorm from last 4 months and tested my thyroid profile on 21 oct result of which i had shared with you. You have mentioned supplement means i will have to take any vitamin tabs. Kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyronorm 37.5 is ok.

Detailed Answer:

By the word supplement in the brief answer, I just meant the thyroid hormone supplementation that I had described in the detailed answer. I could not write the whole thing due the limitation on number of characters in the brief answer.

Since the reports are after taking thyronorm 25 mcg, I feel your doctor has done the right thing by asking you to hike it to 37.5 mcg. No specific vitamin supplementation is needed for this, but in general, you should not be deficient in B complex vitamins as they are needed for various metabolic processes including synthesis of hormones. You can get them through a balanced diet or by taking any B-complex vitamin tablet or capsule. Becosules and Becadexamin are good options.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry