TSH, FT4, FT3 in a thyroid test denote?

Hi I have tested thyroid of my wife and result are TSH 11.41 uIU/ml , FT4 7.81 p mol/L & FT3 3.12 p mol/L.Pls advice what it indicates to and how I will take care
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query

A TSH of 11.41 uIU/mL with FT4 7.81 p mol/L & FT3 3.12 p mol/L is suggestive of a Hypothyroid state.

As more information helps a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:
•     Are there any of the following symptoms that she/you might have noticed:
o     Weight gain
o     Lethargy
o     Menstrual disturbances
o     Coarse dry skin and hair loss
o     Lack of concentration
o     Low mood and depression, slow mentation
o     Cold intolerance
o     Constipation
o     Muscular weakness

•     Have her cholesterol levels been checked? If yes, can you please upload the reports?

If she has any of the above symptoms, I would suggest that she is evaluated by her thyroid hormone supplementation.

I hope I have answered your query.

Dr Gowri
Follow-up: TSH, FT4, FT3 in a thyroid test denote? 26 hours later
Hi Ma'am,

Is it indicates to any major diseases.Pls advice or TSH @ 11.41 is how much danger
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 29 minutes later

Thank you for your follow up question

A high TSH as is this case indicates hypothyroidism. If proper medications are taken, there is no danger as such.

I would advise you to consult your physician who would do a thorough physical examination before starting the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query,

Dr Gowri