TG antibodies was positive and getting frequent sore throat. Should I go for thyroid hormone therapy?

Hi, I am a 25 year old female who has had increasing hairloss over the last 18 months which seems to come and go in cycles where it gets better for a month or so then kicks up again. I do notice lots of regrowth however the hair is still falling out. Around the start of the hairloss I came off the pill after 7 years and it also coincided with me losing a lot of weight 8kg, when my normal weight is 50kg. I have also been very tired, breathless and get frequent sore throats. I have had my thyroid antibodies tested recently and showed antibodies for both types anti TPO was 38 (normal is under 60) and my TG antibodies came back positive at 92 (norm under 60). My TSH level was also on the higher side at 5.24 (normal under 5.5). My doctor seems to think I have Hashimitos but has not advised me of the next step. Does it sound like I need to start thyroid hormone therapy?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. i am so sorry to hear about these troubling symptoms. From all the information you have provided(signs of hypothyroidism and suggestive laboratory findings), I will suggest that trying treatment with hormone replacement would be a great thing to do at this time. Treatment often kicks in so fast and we would be able to tell whether it was due to low thyroid or not within 2weeks. If its shouldn't then we would have been able to ignore suggestive findings and symptoms through a therapeutic trial. If you feel better then it would be continued. If you don't feel better, then we would stop and re-evaluate symptoms again. Please, try and have this discussion with your doctor and see what he thinks since he is the one to prescribe the drug and not me. I hope you find this helpful Please feel free to ask for clarifications. Thanks. I wish you well. dr. Ditah, MD