Swollen tonsils, sewage taste in mouth. Is it foot and mouth disease?

Hi doctor. I had what I believe to be a severe case of foot and mouth (it was going around my daughters nursery and I had every symptom), my tonsils were very very swollen (I have had many bouts of tonsilitis in the past but this was worse). Since then I have had a horrible sewage taste in my mouth when swallowing food/ drink. Any ideas as to what it might be? I have checked teeth and gums and no signs there.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Hands, foot and mouth disease is a viral infection and usually starts with a fever, poor appetite, a vague feeling of being unwell (malaise), and sore throat. One or 2 days after fever starts, painful sores usually develop in the mouth (herpangina). They begin as small red spots that blister and that often become ulcers.

Your symptoms can be due to a sore throat or any other infection of the mouth. If you have any formation of sores inside the mouth then we can suspect hands, foot and mouth disease.

Such taste can also be caused by anaerobic bacteria that live within our bodies. These bacteria can grow in number very quickly when given the right environment or food source thus causing a bad taste in mouth. It can be due to dental caries, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, medications like antibiotics, vitamins and antidepressants, poor oral hygiene etc. Are you taking any antibiotics like metronidazole or tinidazole?

I suggest you to get an examination done from a dentist and get dental caries, TMJ disorder and GERD ruled out.

Till that time, you can fight against the taste by having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar. They not only break through the taste, but also help in saliva production that helps in washing away the taste. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also. It will help in lessening the symptoms. You can use some oral mouthwashes also. This should help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.