Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen tongue, teeth indentations, have hypothyroidism and hypertension, take Synthroid and Metoprolol. What can be causing enlarged tongue?

Question
I am a 43 year old female. I have been suffering from a swollen tongue for about three months. It doesn't extend into my airway or affect respirations, but it fills my whole mouth and I continually have teeth indentations on the sides of my tongue. I do have hypothroidism and take synthroid. I had my TSH checked in September and it was normal. My only other medical condition is hypertension and I take 25mg metoprolol daily for that. What can be causing my enlarged tongue?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1. Did you eat any foods or come in contact with any allergic substances like seafood, shellfish, new medications or an insect bite?
2. Have you had any recent infections or injuries to the mouth?
3. Do you have any pain or other symptoms?

The most probable cause could be Hypothyroidism itself. You might need to get your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone),T3 and T4 levels checked too again. If there is a change you might need dose adjustment by your doctor.

Other common causes can be bacterial, yeast and viral infections like streptococcal infection (bacterial infection), and syphilis can lead to swelling of the tongue. Other causes of a swollen tongue include a variety of irritants and exposure to very hot foods or beverages, spicy foods, tobacco, and alcohol.

If you have eaten any allergic food or introduced any new medicine even that could cause this. Insect bites, dental appliances, tobacco or medical conditions like Pernicious anemia can also cause this.

You will need to get examined by your physician and also need to do the required blood tests.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have no further follow ups please accept my answer.

Regards.

Follow-up: Swollen tongue, teeth indentations, have hypothyroidism and hypertension, take Synthroid and Metoprolol. What can be causing enlarged tongue? 36 minutes later
I haven't eaten anything I'm allergic to... As far as I know I don't have any allergies. If it is my thief levels, will changing my synthroid dose cause the tongue swelling to dissipate? I would hate to have this forever... It's very uncomfortable!

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

It is good to know you do not have any allergies as allergies causes of swollen tongue are recurring in nature.

If it is indeed due to changes in thyroid level that is causing this then change in dosage will be needed. It will definitely help resolve the problem.

In addition you will also need to do blood investigations to look for pernicious anemia and other vitamin deficiencies. Getting your vitamin B 12 level is also needs to be considered.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.