Swollen tongue. Ate a lot of beets and having allergic reaction. Is it serious?

I woke up in the middle of the night with a swollen tongue. I ate alot of beets the night before and was wondering if this was an allergic reaction to that or an indication of something more serious based on my advanced age?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be allergy.

Detailed Answer:

Since you are allergic to penicillin, the swollen tongue following beet consumption coud be an allergic reaction. Did you have any other symptoms like breathing difficulty, choking or difficulty in swallowing? Have you had any such symptoms in the past though allergy can develop any time or at any age.

In view of your advance age, it`s always better to be careful. First and foremost, you may avoid beetroot in future. It is apparent from your post that you do not suffer from any chronic ailment like high BP, Diabetes or any heart problem which is very heartening but i still suggest that you consult your GP and take a complete health check.