Swollen throat glands for a long time. Need treatment?

My teenage daughter has had swollen throat glands for almost a year now
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 14 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

The swollen throat glands since almost a year needs to be evaluated.
I suppose that she would have taken courses of antibiotics in the last year.

Please do let me know the following details:
Does she have any other symptoms like: sore throat/ hoarse voice / difficulty in swallowing/ fever/ cough?
Where exactly are the glands located in the neck and what is their approximate size?
Did she have problems of adenoids or tonsils in childhood?
Is their swelling anywhere else in the body?

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Swollen throat glands for a long time. Need treatment? 10 hours later
No sore throat, hoarse voice, difficulty in swallowing, fever or cough. Swollen glands located directly under the jaw and are the size of large marbles. No adnoid or tonsil problems in childhood. One sibling had tonsils removed. Not sure about swelling elsewhere in the body.
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for the response.

Swollen gland under the jaw is likely to be submandibular lymphnode.

Considering the large size of sub mandibular lymph nodes, I would advise the following:

1. Get her clinically examined by an ENT Doctor.

2. The following investigations will help in diagnosis of etiology of the lymph node enlargement.
- Complete blood count with peripheral smear examination.
- FNAC(Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the submandibular lymph node (by a Pathologist).
- Get a Mantoux test done.
- USG (Ultra sonography of the abdomen).

3. A course of antibiotics for 2-3 weeks is entailed. Antibiotics being prescription only drugs can be available with a prescription of your specialist.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish your daughter a good health.