Swollen parotid glands, loss of hearing, buzzing in head, sinusitis, asthma, productive cough, scarring in lungs

Question
Dr XXXXXXX answered my previous question, but i pressed the wrong button and didnt reply . You'll understand why I get things like that wrong as you read on. I was wanting to know which area of expertise I need to correspond with. Dont know whether you are able to see my previous posting so will put it in again. For at least the past year I have a ridiculous amount of symptons which stay with me. Swollen parotid glands (checked by Maxillofacial - no tumours showing on scan, not Sjogren and do not have dry mouth etc, they believe manifestation of something going on elsewhere in my body, although didnt do biopsy). Loss of hearing with buzzing in my head (can hear myself talking and swallowing more than I can hear others). Sinusitus. Asthma and productive cough (using inhalers). Scarring at bottom of lungs (CT scan). Do not have COPD per respiritary dept at hospital. Uncontrollable weight gain (not on steroid medication other than inhalers). Muscle pain, cramps and twitching. Severe acute joint pain anywhere in my body and at any time but no swelling or discoloration. So severe that I find it difficult to walk when my leg joints are affected. Swollen abdomen and bloating, (look 6 months pregnant). Taking omeprazole for acid reflux. Sleeplessness, brain fog and short term memory problems with lack of concentration making it impossible to work, which I really want to get back to at a chartered accountancy practice. Good days and bad days. Tender spots checked for fibromyalgia by rheuomatologist, I have all but one of those. Severe acute chest pains, for which I was hospitalized overnight and checked ECG and blood tests. Heart ok and suggested it must be muscle related. Checked for sarcoidosis - negative. Had antibody checks of which the first came back weakly positive (not put on my records for some reason) and the follow up to check this came back negative. Have just been made aware of Lyme disease and wondered if this could be the cause of all these symptons. Visited Canada a few years ago and went to areas which are prevalent with Lyme infestation. Certainly had moments when we could barely breathe for the swarms of mosquitos. We also stayed in national parks and were even confronted with deer roaming free by our hotel door. Lovely holiday though !! I do not believe that fibro is causing all of these symptons although I know that most of them could be associated with it. I cannot find anyone on forums or find any research to back up the swollen parotid glands association with fibro. I am sure now that some people think that what I have is now "in my head", but I know that not to be the case. I am a reasonably intelligent person and my gut feeling is either a bacteria (such as Lyme) or an autoimmune, even though I have had the negative result. I dont know where to go from here. No one seems to be listening and I really do need to step up the action now and get to the bottom of this debilitating situation. If you can offer me any advice at all I would be extremely grateful.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later

Thanks for the repost.

I was wanting to know which area of expertise I need to correspond with?

== If your suspicion is about the infectious agent and / or autoimmune disease, you should fix it with an Infectious disease specialist and Immunologist.

Hearing what you talk and swallowing along with parotid swelling is ideally dealt by surgeons especially Head & Neck Surgeons aka ENT Sugeon.

It would be good if you can look for a multispecialty institute where all the above specialists are under one roof and they can speak to each other to arrive at a treatment plan.

With weight gain, sleeplessness and GERD I would also rule in menopause and thyroid problems as well. An XXXXXXX Medicinist is sufficient to check with simple tests. Similarly he should be the driver and refer you to various sub specialists with whatever he suspects.

I reckon a parotid biopsy after consulting the head and neck surgeon. A Pure tone Audiogram brings out better details.

What I understand is the chance of common infectious disease is rare, the autoimmune diseases themselves rare, so the specialist has to do a lot of intriguing work to face the challenge.

I answered you with the best of my ability in my first attempt. I tried to put the remaining thoughts here.