Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen lymph nodes, bleeding mouth with sore gum and tongue. What am I suffering from?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What illness do I have? There is a sore on my gum in the back of mouth, very sore tongue on one side in the back...hurts a lot to move my tongue any, bleeding in mouth from unknown location a few days ago, back molar hurt to chew, sore throat, very swollen and painful lymph nodes, had a fever for days a few weeks ago, ear itches inside...before all this I had a bad, lingering cough for at least a month. :(
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
From your symptoms, two possibilities should be ruled out. These are:

1)Gingivitis which is an inflammation of the gums.
2) Periodontal disease

Based on your symptoms, it looks like an infection of the gums resulting in swollen lymph nodes, bleeding and fever. I suggest you to get it checked from a dentist as he will look for signs of periodontitis using X-rays or periodontal probing.

You need to consult a dentist and get a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and you should brush twice daily and floss your teeth.

Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds. Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if your swollen gums are caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash.

In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can also use mouth washes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide. You can get them prescribed from your dentist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Swollen lymph nodes, bleeding mouth with sore gum and tongue. What am I suffering from? 6 minutes later
Thank you very very much for your detailed answer! I really appreciate it. I do have one more question/concern...could Mono be ruled out or not?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Mononucleosis can be ruled out only after a physical examination. However it is not likely in your case.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.