Swollen lymph node near left ear, painful. Suggestions ?

i am a 35 years old male . i hv a swollen lymph node near my left ear for last one month or so. it is painfull now. please suggest me .
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abid 10 minutes later
Hi there...
Sorry to hear about your problem.
As you mentioned you have chronic tonsillitis and you have swollen lymph node near to left ear. This is most possibly an enlarged and painful post auricular lymph node.

Regarding your concern I want to tell you that the most common cause of swollen lymph node is infection in its drainage area as you have already history of Chronic tonsillitis so this can be the most possible cause of your problem.

Lymphoma usually presents with Generalized Lymphadenopathy and it is least likely possibility in your case. So take off those thoughts.

Do you run temperature? Do you suffer from cold / cough / ear pain or discharge / sweet tooth / dandruff ? All these can cause the painful lymph node. A painful node suggest inflammation of node because of one of the above.

I will suggest you to consult ENT,get local examination of throat and swollen lymph node and proceed accordingly.

Regards and wish you good health.