Swollen lymph node in groin, tender, oval, negative UTI test

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi. I am a 47 female and have a swollen groin lymph node. It is very tender and is about as big as a large gum ball but it is oval. The other side is also swollen but not as big or painful. Had urine test for uti and it was negative. I'm pretty worried.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you have any wound on your leg, any skin lesions, vaginal discharge ?

Any other lymph node swellings in the body ?

Usually lymph node swellings in the groin can occur due to infection in the lower limbs, genitalia. Other causes include systemic infections, sexually transmitted infections etc.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of water.

Kindly consult your Doctor to get a thorough clinical examination to find the source of possible infection for enlarged lymph node. When source of infection is found, adequate treatment including antibiotics would be given.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Swollen lymph node in groin, tender, oval, negative UTI test 22 hours later
No leg wounds or wounds of any kind. No vaginal discharge. Genital culture came back negative. Other symptoms: fatigue, night sweats, possible lump under collar bone. However fatigue and night sweats are typical.

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any recent weight loss ?

Since you have another possible lump under your collar bone this could be a systemic disease possibly infections like TB, Cat Scratch disease, possibility of Lymphomas also.

You should get examined by your Doctor, blood tests and FNAC or lymph node biopsy will be required as well for diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Swollen lymph node in groin, tender, oval, negative UTI test 3 hours later
5 lbs lost but I was trying to drop a few!

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there.

Since you have attempted deliberate weight loss, it is difficult to come to a conclusion to possible diagnosis.

It would be best to get a clinical examination and required testing to come to right diagnosis for the possible causes as mentioned earlier like infections and lymphomas.

Wishing good health.