Swollen labia, very painful, cannot close legs or sit down or walk normally

My labia is extremely swollen. Started swelling 48 hrs ago and us only getting worse. It's huge looks like it could explode now it's painful, very painful. I can't even close my legs it sit down our walk normal.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or the infection caused by bacteria or yeast. infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge in color, consistency or smell.

The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Oral antibiotics are needed to control the infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Swollen labia, very painful, cannot close legs or sit down or walk normally 8 hours later
The swelling is getting worse. Shouldn't it be getting better? The bottom of labia is swollen and the to p is swollen and very hard.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since the swelling is getting worse, you need a medical attention immediately for proper antibiotics. Please do not delay and consult your gynecologist or go to an ER. Meanwhile do a hot fomentation in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.