Swollen hand, unable to make fist following a fall. Should I strap it for support?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I had a fall on tiles 3 days ago. My hand is slightly swollen, no bruising. I cannot make a fist or I cannot bend my wrist back at all, I have pain in my fingers after I try to make a fist. I also have pain that moves from one part of my hand to another. Is this a bad sprain and should I strap it up for support?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
This sounds to me like muscle or tendon pulling with joint capsule contusion.
This caused swelling and inability to extend wrist. It is important to see is this caused by swelling and pain or there is a nerve damage. If you cant extend or bend your wrist at all and you have loss of sensation in fingers this can be sign of nerve damage,but this is very rare in such injuries. ALso be sure that you feel pulsatility in radial artery.
YOu should only rest with your hand, put some cold compress on it, hold it in elevated position and take some nonsteroid painkillers. There is no need for strapping it except if you cant avoid working with this hand.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Swollen hand, unable to make fist following a fall. Should I strap it for support? 5 minutes later
How long will this take to heal please as I still have to go to work and I am unable to have it strapped in work. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
2-4 days.but you should really test with your hand or use it as less as possible.also stretch your hand every day till you feel the pain. try to progress with streching 2-3cm per day. You can put elastic bandage on your carpal joint only.dont strapp your fingers.