Swollen ear lobes, cold symptoms, itchiness behind head, no pain. Causes for condition?

cold like symptoms forthe last 2 days and woke up with swollen ear lobes this morning. why? no pain, just hot to the touch. both ears swollen.also- itchiness in the back of my head. I have not eaten anything or gone anywhere out of my normal regimen. should I take anything for it? with this being a holiday, whats the best thing I should do? ( main concern- swollen red ears)
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 44 minutes later

Thank you for posting in your query.

I gather from your query that you have been suffering from swollen red ear lobes, cold and some itching at the back of your head.

These symptoms could be pointing to an infection either Otitis Externa or any Mastoiditis. Other symptoms which may be seen in this condition include Fever, Pain in the back of the ear.

My suggestion to you would be as follows:

1. This condition requires medical attention. Kingly XXXXXXX you Anti inflammatory and Antibiotic regimen till the infection reduces.
3. Kindly keep your ear and the surrounding area dry.

Hope I have answered your query. Kindly revert to me if you have any other questions

Dr Gowri