Swollen and tender scar after laparotomy for ruptured ectopic pregnancy, uncomfortable bulge. When will it subside?

I underwent an emergency laparatomy for a ruptured etopic pregnancy 5 weeks ago. I am still really swollen and tender in the area just above my scar. They went in through my previous C-section scar. I have a pretty large noticeable bulge that I am wondering when it will go away. I want to start running again but that bulge is quite uncomfortable. When can I expect it to go down and is there any type of abdomen wrap that you can recommend for me to wear for when I do start running again?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
At this stage you can walk but jogging and running is unsafe.
The tenderness is expected due to the surgery through previous Cesarean scar but the swelling needs to be reviewed by your surgeon in person because in cases like yours patients can have scar dehiscence or incisional hernia.
In both the cases you need a physical examination and investigations like ultrasound abdomen to make surety of diagnosis and need surgical intervention to correct the problem.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!